There is something very comforting about pasta bakes and this one is no exception. They are so versatile as you can use any combination of vegetables in your sauce, any pasta type and your favourite melting cheese.
I used onion, carrot, celery, courgette, garlic and tinned tomatoes to make my sauce and added broccoli in with the pasta but you could also use red or yellow peppers, lentils, butternut squash or sweet potato in your sauce.
I used white cheddar cheese but again use your favourite cheese, just make sure it melts so the top of your bake is delicious.
This sauce can be made in advance and frozen. It can be reheated from frozen. This will make this dish even quicker to make.
The sauce can also be served with any pasta as a simple pasta and sauce combination.
Vegetable Pasta Bake
- olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 1/2 courgette
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 350 g penne pasta
- 200 g broccoli
- 100 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- Puree your onion, carrot, celery and courgette.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the pureed vegetables until the water has evaporated
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then add the tinned tomatoes, herbs, salt, pepper and chilli flakes
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F or Gas Mark 4
- Cook the penne according to the instructions making sure it is al dente. Otherwise it will be mushy in your bake
- Once the penne is cooked to al dente, mix it with the sauce and the broccoli. Add to the baking dish and top with the grated cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minute until the cheese is melted and golden
- Serve with a nice side salad or on its own