This is another new soup recipe that I experimented with over Christmas. The flavour is delicious and the tortellini add a lovely bite to the soup and makes a change from a simple vegetable soup. I really enjoyed it and will make it again.
I used onions, celery, carrots and tinned tomatoes as my base. I chose spinach and cheese tortellini but you can use any variety that you wish. You could also add courgette, tinned beans, peas or spinach if you like.
I normally make enough soup for my husband and me for 3 days. To make sure the tortellini tasted their best I only added enough for that first day when making the soup. I then added more on the day I was reheating the soup. They only take 4 minutes to cook so this was ideal. I think if you cook them all at once and let them sit in the soup in the fridge the tortellini may go soft and will most likely absorb too much liquid.
Tortellini & Vegetable Soup
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 ltr stock
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 300 g tortellini
- Cut the onions, celery and carrots into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil and saute the onions, celery and carrots until the onions are soft
- Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock and mixed herbs and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 20 minutes until carrots are soft
- Add the tortellini and cook for 3-4 minutes. If planning to eat only some of the soup then only add some of the tortellini. You can add some fresh tortellini when you are reheating the soup the next day.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.