This simple pasta is a mid week favourite of mine and is a great meat free dinner that takes 20 minutes to make. The sauce can be made in the time it takes to cook the pasta and the preparation steps are simple too.
Simply prepare the cherry tomatoes, broccoli and garlic while your water boils and then cook the sauce as the pasta cooks. The broccoli can be boiled along with the pasta or steamed on top of it.
Make sure your broccoli is in small bite size florets so it is easy to pick up with your strands of spaghetti.
I like to eat this pasta dish anytime of the year but it is especially lovely on a summers evening, sitting in the garden with the last of the suns rays.
Tomato and Broccoli Pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 500 g broccoli
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- Ground Black Pepper
- 500 g spaghetti
- Prepare your cherry tomatoes by quartering them and your broccoli by chopping into bite size florets. Thinly slice the garlic.
- Boil the water for your pasta as you prepare your vegetables
- Heat the olive oil and gently fry the garlic, being careful not to burn it
- Add the chilli flakes and tomatoes and continue to cook gently
- Cook the pasta according to the packet in boiling salted water
- For the last 5 minutes add the broccoli to the pasta water to cook. You could also steam the broccoli in a steamer at the top of the pasta saucepan.
- Season the pasta sauce with salt and black pepper
- In a serving bowl, combine the pasta, broccoli and sauce. Add some of the pasta water to thicken the sauce and give it a lovely sheen
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply