Soup seems an appropriate recipe for today as it is raining and windy outside. This soup is a favourite of adults and children alike as the chorizo adds a lovely smokey flavour and the carrots and sweet potatoes add a nice sweetness.
As with most soups you can make extra and either keep for a few days in the fridge or freeze to use another day. Make sure to freeze in individual portions as you will then be able to use it as needed.
I recommend using a stick blender when pureeing soup as there is no mess and you can puree it all at once.
Sweet Potato, Chorizo and Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g chorizo
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 kg sweet potatoes
- 500 g carrots
- 1.2 ltr chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chorizo, onions and celery into small pieces
- Chop the carrots and sweet potatoes into bite size pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the chorizo until some oil is released
- Add the onion and celery and saute until soft
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and saute for a few minutes
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the carrots are soft
- Puree the soup and season with salt and pepper
- Serve with some freshly baked bread