This is a lovely soup that you can make very easily and quickly with ingredients that are usually on hand. Lentils, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and spices are a store cupboard essential and I always have onions, celery and garlic in my vegetable basket.
Lentils are so versatile and can be used in so many dishes but soup is one of favourite places to use them. They are low in calories and high in iron and protein.
This soup can be stored in the fridge for a number of days and can also be frozen.
Spicy Lentil & Tomato Soup
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 160 g dried split red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400 g plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onion and celery and slice the garlic
- Heat the olive oil on a low heat and add the onion, celery and dry spices to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée, lentils and stock and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper