These pies are great to make with leftover stews or casseroles. I used ceramic ramekins to make single sized pies but you could make one large pie if you want.
They can be served for lunch or dinner with some steamed green vegetables or a side salad.
- 180 g plain flour
- 100 g butter
- 40 ml cold water
- leftover stew or casserole
- 1 egg
- Sieve the flour into a bowl
- Cube the butter and add to the flour.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining. Try to work quickly so that it does not become greasy.
- Using a knife, stir in just enough of the cold water to bind the dough together
- Let the dough to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Grease your individual pie dishes.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out.
- Cut the pastry so that it fits the pie dishes and then lie each pie dish
- Fill with your leftover stew and then put a pastry lid on top of each dish
- Seal the pastry lid to the rest of the pastry and brush with a beaten egg to glaze. Make sure you pierce the pastry to allow the steam to release.
- Bake in an oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry to baked and golden