I discovered this recipe while watching “Rick Stein’s Mediterranean Escapes” (he was in Puglia in Italy) and it looked so good that I had to try it at home. It did not disappoint!
I used good quality Irish pork sausages as that is what I had on hand but the original recipe used Italian sausage. You can leave the fennel seeds out if you are using Italian sausages as they already contain fennel. As a potato lover I also increased the amount of potatoes in the recipe but feel free to use whatever quantity suits your appetite.
We ate it all in one sitting but I would guess that it tastes just as good (if not better) as leftovers the next day.
I served this with some lovely steamed green vegetables (broccoli, green beans and sugar snap peas).
Sausage & Lemony Potatoes
- 450 g pork sausages
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (if using fennel sauages, leave this out)
- 1 kg potatoes
- ½ lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 120 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Slice the onion and garlic thinly. Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a casserole dish. Add the sausages and fry until browned all over. Remove them to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds and another tablespoon of oil to the casserole dish and fry until soft and lightly golden.
- Stir in the potatoes, browned sausages, lemon zest and juice, bay leaves, chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Pour the water over the dish, drizzle with a little oil and cover tightly with the lid. Bake for about 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender.