I’m guessing that most of you are looking for tasty, quick midweek meals that can be on the table in less that 30 minutes. This recipe certainly fits that bill. And you have the added bonus that it is super healthy as well! Win-win.
Salmon can be quite expensive so I recommend buying sides of salmon when they are on special and freezing it into dinner size portions.
As salmon is quite oily you only need a little oil to stir-fry it. I also don’t add oil when stir-frying the broccoli as I find that adding a little water to steam it instead makes it tastier and prevents it from charring.
I need to say a word about my wok. I love it to bits. It is over 20 years old and was purchased in Chinatown in San Francisco when I lived there. It is a traditional carbon-steel wok. It has been carefully seasoned over the years and for me is the perfect work for stir frying. Every time I use it I am transported back to that time of my life and can almost smell the unique smells of Chinatown! I recommend that you go to your local asian supermarket and pick up a wok there. I promise, once you season the wok properly a few times, it will serve you forever, unlike so called non-stick versions out there.
When I serve this for my family I combine the rice into the stirfry in the wok before serving. I find that this helps to get the delicious flavour of the sauce in each bite.
Salmon, Broccoli & Cashew Nut Stirfry
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 400 g salmon
- 500 g broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp seseme oil
- 100-200 ml water
- 100 g cashew nuts
- Remove the skin and cut the salmon into strips
- Cut the broccoli into small florets
- Grate the ginger and garlic and all the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cornflour, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and water
- Heat your wok and add a little oil
- Stir fry the salmon for 3-4 minutes
- Stir fry the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, adding some water to steam it. this prevents it burning or charring
- Add the cashew nuts and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add the sauce and cook for a further minute
- Add some more water or cornflour if needed
- Serve with rice or noodles
Leave a Reply