I just love roast chicken as it is so versatile and works with so many different flavours and recipes. Here is one that I like with an Indian spice rub rubbed under and over the skin before roasting.
I use a mixture of Indian curry paste and natural yogurt which I then rub under and over the skin.
I serve this with spiced roasted potatoes and either chickpea curry or green bean curry.
The flavours that the spice rub give to the chicken are just gorgeous and everyone loves it. The great thing about making your own rub is that you can use as little or as much curry paste as you like.
Any leftover chicken can be added to soup or used to make a chicken pie the next day. It will also made delicious sandwiches as well. And don’t forget to keep the bones to make stock.
Roast Chicken with Indian Spice Rub
- 1 large chicken
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 100 ml natural yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4
- Combine the curry paste and the natural yogurt in a bowl and mix well
- Rub the mix under and over the chicken skin making sure to get as far under the skin as you can . It should pull away from the flesh easily enough as you move your hand along.
- Add a little water to the tray. This will combine with the juices from the chicken and the spice mix to form a nice gravy
- Cook the chicken in the oven until fully cooked. You should always use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken to test doneness.
- Make sure to add extra water during cooking if needed
- Serve with some nice spiced roasted potatoes and green bean or chickpea curry