My sons love burritos from Boojum so I wanted to try re-create them at home. This shredded chicken is so good in a burrito with Mexican rice, black beans, sauce/salsa, sour cream and cheese. I like to have a burrito bowl instead (ie all the burrito fillings but served in a bowl instead of a tortilla).
The chicken needs to be cooked slowly in the sauce until it can be shredded using two forks. This takes about 45 minutes in a saucepan. You could also use a slow cooker if you prefer. It will take about 4 hours on low.
I normally serve the sauce on the side as this allows each person to decide how much or little sauce they want. Personally I love loads of sauce!
I’ve started to serve them with homemade corn tortillas, Mexican rice, salsa, black beans, cheese, lettuce and sour cream
1st March 2022 – Small edit to this recipe. I now add some of the sauce to the chicken as I fry it. It adds lots of flavour.
Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 500 g chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1/2 tin tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- handful coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and add 1 cup water.
- Simmer, covered, on medium low heat, for 40 - 50 minutes, until chicken can be shredded with 2 forks.
- Remove chicken and shred. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the coriander and lime juice to the sauce and blend until smooth
- Heat a little oil (up to 1 tbsp) in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken and fry, adding some of the sauce as you fry to add more flavour. Fry until the chicken is golden.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce on the side. I like to serve my chicken with Mexican rice and black beans.
Do you have a salsa verde recipe to go with the chicken?
Not at the moment