My sons love burritos from Boojum so I wanted to try re-create them at home. At the heart of this is Mexican rice. Traditional Mexican rice uses a tomato stock cube but that isn’t available in Ireland so I use a chicken stock cube instead. You can use a vegetable one to make this dish vegetarian.
Frying the rice before boiling prevents the grains from sticking when cooked and also imparts a nutty flavour to finished dish.
This rice is delicious served with Mexican shredded chicken and black beans.
Servings 4 people
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 220 g long grain rice
- 1/2 tin tomatoes pureed
- 450 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 stock cube
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice. Cook rice, stirring constantly, for several minutes, until rice begins to turn a golden color.
- Reduce heat to low to avoid spattering.
- Gently pour in warm water, tomato sauce and stir. Stir in chili powder, stock cube and garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve with Mexican shredded chicken