I have been perfecting my meatball recipe for a number of years. I had a version that I had been using but after a family visit to San Francisco (North Beach) I knew it could be improved.
After reading many other recipes online and a a number of days experimenting, I created the below which my sons declared as the best meatballs ever! My oldest son has eaten 8 in one sitting!
It involves soaking some bread in milk which will look something like this:
You will then need to remove the excess milk from the bread by squeezing well.
I also combine the meat in two separate batches, the first batch is mixed really well with the other ingredients and will look like this:
and the second batch is mixed gently just to combine. This keeps the texture of the meatballs intact. It should look as follows:
I use onion and garlic granules rather than finely chopped onion and garlic as my children don’t like the texture of onions. Feel free to substitute one medium onion for 1 tbsp of onion granules and 4-5 cloves of garlic for 1 tbsp of garlic granules instead.
The meatballs can be frozen without cooking and can be cooked in the oven from frozen at a later time. Make sure to freeze them on a tray and then move to a freezer bag so you can remove them individually later.
- 60 g sliced bread
- 40 ml milk
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 30 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 g minced beef
- 500 g minced pork
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into cubes. Then soak bread in the milk and squash well with your fingers to remove the excess milk.
- Cut the onion finely and mince the garlic, if using.
- Add the onion, garlic, Parmesan, herbs, salt, pepper and egg yolks and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the minced beef and pork and mix well.
- Add the remaining beef and pork and mix gently, just enough to combine.
- Shape in balls, the size depends on your preference – I like table tennis size – and set aside.
- Cook the meatballs in the oven for 25 minutes.