This recipe uses my meatballs recipe that I posted earlier. The sauce can be made in the time the meatballs are cooking which is great.
While the meatballs are cooking in the oven I make a spicy tomato sauce using chipotle paste and add tinned black beans. You could use dried black beans but I usually find I don’t have the time to soak and cook them before making this recipe. I guess it requires a little too much forward planning for me 🙂
The chipotle paste adds a smokey spicy flavour without being too over powering or hot. Use whatever chipotle paste you can get your hands on.
Once the meatballs are cooked I add them to the pot and simmer for a further 10 minutes to bring the flavours together.
I serve them with rice.
This sauce is great for freezing either combined with the meatballs or separately.
Meatballs & Black Beans in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tin black beans
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 20 meatballs (from my meatballs recipe)
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large pan.
- Slice the garlic thinly and fry for 1-2 mins being careful not to burn it.
- Add the tin of tomatoes. If you or your family don't like chunky tomato pieces you can blitz the tomatoes or even use passata.
- Add the chipotle paste and the black beans. You can add more or less chipotle paste depending on your spice/heat tolerance levels.
- Fill the tomato tin 1/2 way with water and add.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer. Add more water as needed.
- When the meatballs have cooked add them to the sauce and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Serve with rice.