I’m back in soup making mode and here is another quick, easy and tasty option. It is made from store cupboard items which is great when you haven’t been to the supermarket and can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Again, this soup can be stored in the fridge for a few days or frozen in individual portions.
Lentil, Chickpea and Chilli Soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onion
- 280 g red lentils
- 1600 ml vegetable stock or water
- 2 tins tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas
- Chop the red onion and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a large pinch of chilli flakes for 1 minute
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the chopped red onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red lentils, vegetable stock, tins of tomatoes and 1/2 a tin of chickpeas, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils have softened.
- Blend the soup with a stick blender until it is a rough purée and add the rest of the chickpeas.
- Heat gently, season well with salt and pepper and stir in a small bunch of chopped coriander.
- Serve with some fresh bread