The colour of this soup might not be too appealing but the taste is worth overlooking that fact. I made it one day when I had some leftover kale and was looking for a recipe to use it up. This soup did not disappoint. It is a similar recipe to leek and potato but I actually prefer the taste more. I was afraid it might taste too intense but it is quite mellow.
As with all soups you can store in the fridge for a few days or freeze and enjoy later. I always recommend freezing in individual portions so you can take one out and reheat quickly in the microwave for a quick and convenient lunch.
Kale & Potato Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 200 g kale
- 400 g potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 750 ml stock
- 150 ml milk
- ground black pepper
- Clean the kale and remove the stalks
- Cut the onion, celery and potatoes into small pieces
- Heat the oil and saute the the onion and celery until soft
- Then add the garlic and potatoes and saute for a minute or two
- Add the kale and saute for a further minute
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add the milk and bring back to the boil.
- If the soup is too thick add some more water.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper