Another family favourite dessert. I love desserts that incorporate fruit and usually make them at least once a week, often on Wednesdays when Grandad comes for dinner.
This is so simple to make, just stewed fruits topped with sponge mix and baked in the oven. You can use any fruits that you like. This time I used frozen summer berries (strawberries, raspberries, red currants, black currants) but in class last week we used stewed apple, pear and plums. Those fruits are just perfect at this time of the year. You could also use just apple or pears or plums or any combination of the three. Berries are also a great addition. The choices are endless.
It is so delicious served warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.
- 500 g frozen fruit
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 175 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175 g butter
- 175 g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 4
- Add the fruit, 2 tbsp sugar and water to a saucepan and stew for 10 minutes
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl, then add the caster sugar, self-raising flour and baking powder. Crack the eggs one at a time and then add to the bowl.
- Using the electric mixer on slow speed, beat for 2 minutes until smooth. The mixture will be soft enough to drop off the beaters when you lift them up.
- Pour the fruit into a large shallow baking dish and top with the sponge mix. There will be some gaps between the sponge, this is normal as the sponge will expand as it is baked.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the sponge is baked. The top should spring back when ready.
- Serve with whipped cream while slightly warm.