This is a firm favourite in our house and is based on a recipe from Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals. It is so quick to make and tastes so creamy and delicious. It is so simple that my sons can make it by themselves (with a little supervision by me).
I have made a few tweaks to his recipe – I use 1/2 dark, 1/2 milk chocolate and I don’t add any sugar or alcohol – but feel free to follow the original recipe if you wish.
Be sure to use the best quality chocolate that you can afford as it really is the key ingredient in this dessert. I use half dark, half milk chocolate as it makes for a less intense mousse that kids prefer but you can use whatever chocolate you wish (as long as it is good quality).
You can serve it with some fresh summer fruits like strawberries or raspberries but it is equally delicious on it’s own.
Creamy Chocolate Mousse
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 100 g milk chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 300 g cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Smash the chocolate and add to a bowl with the butter. Heat the chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water or in a microwave at a low setting being careful not to burn the chocolate. Stir occasionally.
- Whip the cream and vanilla until silky.
- Separate the eggs. Add the yolks to the cream mixture and mix through. Whisk the egg whites until stiff (the mixture should not move if you hold the bowl over your head!).
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the cream and stir through. Gently fold the egg whites into the cream and chocolate mixture ensuring that you don’t knock the air out of them.
- Transfer to individual dishes/one large serving dish and refrigerate until ready to serve.