Couscous salad is a great side dish to serve with any summer BBQ. It takes minutes to prepare and adds some colour to your plate. Couscous only needs 5 minutes to absorb all of the stock so this is a really quick and versatile salad.
I like to add some raisins, coriander, diced red onions and peppers to my version but feel free to add your own favourite vegetables. I use a basic vinaigrette to season and moisten my salad but again feel free to experiment with your dressing.
I add the raisins when adding the hot stock to the couscous as it gives the raisins time to plump up and get delicious. The other vegetables get added at the end.
After combining the couscous and stock I cover the bowl to prevent steam from escaping. This allows the couscous to become lovely and fluffy.
- 300 g couscous
- 50 g raisins
- 400 ml stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 red or yellow pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 handful coriander
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- black pepper
- Dice the red pepper and red onion very finely and set aside
- Chop the coriander and set aside
- Add the couscous, raisins and butter to a bowl and cover with 400ml stock. Make sure to cover the bowl with cling film or a large plate to allow the couscous to absorb all of the water and heat
- After 5 minutes stir the couscous with a fork to fluff it up. Then add the red pepper, onion and coriander and mix well
- Combine the olive oil, white wine vinager, mustard, salt and pepper to make the vinagrette and thne add to the bowl and mix through