When I was in California I bought a tortilla press and some corn masa to make corn tortillas. At the time the boys were small and really only liked the tortillas when deep fried into tortilla chips so I stopped making them. I decided to try them again last month as we were missing Boojum a lot. The boys loved them stuffed with mexican chicken, rice and salsa.
I like to add black beans, cheese, lettuce and sour cream (or plain yogurt) to mine.
If you are in Ireland you can buy corn masa at https://www.picadomexican.com
Servings 16 tortillas
- 200 g corn masa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 280-300 ml water
- Add the masa and salt to a bowl and add enough water to form a dough. Add the water slowly.
- Bring the ingredients together to form a ball and knead.
- Divide into 16 balls
- Line each side of the tortilla press with some cling film to stop the dough sticking
- Put one ball on top of one side of the tortilla press and push down on the handle to flatten the ball.
- Remove carefully from the cling film and dry fry in a large frying pan. I can fit 3 at a time in mine
- Cook on one side for a couple of minutes and flip over. It should start to puff up with air as it cooks
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and put it on a plate and cover with a tea towel
- Repeat until all the dough balls are cooked.
- Serve with your favourite taco fillings. I like to use mexican rice, mexican chicken, salsa, black beans, lettuce, cheese and sour cream
Leave a Reply