My sons and I were looking for some ways to use up egg whites and didn’t want to make meringue so we searched in some cookbooks we have. We found a recipe for coconut macaroons and decided to try them. They were delicious and simple to make.
You can shape them any way you want – we went with a free style spoon version.
- 3 large egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g desiccated coconut
- 60 g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Line a baking sheet or tray with baking paper
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff
- Add the sugar in 3 batches and whisk until the sugar has dissolved
- Fold the desiccated coconut into the mixture. make sure to do this gently so no air is lost
- Using a dessert spoon, spoon the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread out a little.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes on the sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool further.
- Once cool, melt the chocolate and coat one half of each macaroon with some chocolate. The easiest way to do this is to dip the macaroon in the chocolate
- Put the macaroons into the fridge to allow the chocolate to harden