I know it might be strange to some people as we are Irish, but my sons don’t really like potatoes. In fact the only way they will eat them is in chip form. I was raised in a potato eating household where pretty much every dinner included potatoes and I love them in all forms – chipped, roasted, mashed, boiled, sauteed – so I’m always hoping that some day they will develop a love of them also. Until then, I will continue to cook chips so we can all enjoy them.
I like to cook my chips in the oven as it uses very little oil and therefore we can make something reasonably healthy while also being delicious. I primarily cook two types of chips – chunky chips and thin fries. The method is different for both so I will be covering them in two separate posts. This post is for the chunky chip variety.
Choose a potato variety that is floury, eg maris piper, as they make the best fluffy chips.
After peeling and washing my potatoes, I cut them in quarters or sixths (depending on how big they are). I then par-steam (or par-boil) them for 8-10 minutes during which time I heat some oil in the oven. Once the potatoes have softened a little I agitate them in the pan to roughen the edges. Par-steaming or boiling makes for fluffier chips and agitating gives a better texture to the finished chip.
I then add them to the hot oil, moving them around to get oil everywhere. I cook them in a hot oven (190-200 C) for 40 minutes or so until they are golden and crispy.You should shake them up and move them around during this time to ensure even crispiness and colour.
They need to be served and eaten immediately.
Chunky Oven Chips
- 1400 g potatoes eg maris piper
- 1-2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Peel and wash your potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into quarters or sixths depending on their size
- Parboil or Par-steam the potatoes for 8-10 minutes
- During this time heat the oil in the oven
- Once the potatoes have softened, agitate them in the pan or a colander to get some rough edges. These give a lovely texture to the finished chip
- Add the chips to the baking tray of hot oil and try to get oil on all
- Sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until golden and crispy, making sure to shake them up during the process
Leave a Reply