My family and I love chorizo (how can you not!) and are always looking for new ways to add it to our meals. My chorizo, chicken and chickpea in tomato sauce recipe is a quick midweek dinner that is full of flavour and taste.
I use a cajun seasoning mix (which you can make or buy) and some smoked paprika to give a smokey flavour to this dish.
You could also use butter beans or cannellini beans instead of chickpeas. I prefer butter beans but the rest of my family prefers chickpeas so chickpeas win out.
Raisins are also a nice addition as they add a little bit of sweetness to each bite.
It is lovely served on a bed of rice.
This is another great meal for freezing so it is a great idea to make double and freeze. That way you have something delicious to pull out some rushed winter evening. It will also hold in the fridge for a couple of days and can be taken to work or school for lunch with some lovely crusty bread.
Chorizo, Chicken and & Chickpea in Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g chorizo sausage
- 4 chicken breasts cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning mix (from my cajun spice mix recipe)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Chop the chicken into cubes
- Chop the chorizo into small cubes
- Slice the garlic into thin slices
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan or saucepan and fry the chorizo until some oil comes out. This usually takes 3-4 minutes
- Add the chicken and saute until no longer pink, about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and gently fry it for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn it
- Add the cajun seasoning and the smoked paprika and fry for 1 more minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the chickpeas and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 15 minutes while your rice cooks.