This is a variation on my chorizo, chicken and chickpea in tomato sauce recipe using butter beans instead. I prefer butter beans to chickpeas in stews as they are softer. I recently made this for 22 people and it was immediately requested for the next time we get together. I guess that means they liked it 🙂
I love recipes that can feed 4 people but can easily be extended to feed 20 or 30 people with very little extra effort.
I use a cajun seasoning mix (which you can make or buy) and some smoked paprika to give a smokey flavour to this dish.
It is lovely served on a bed of rice.
This is another great meal for freezing so it is a great idea to make double and freeze. That way you have something delicious to pull out some rushed winter evening. It will also hold in the fridge for a couple of days and can be taken to work or school for lunch with some lovely crusty bread.
Chorizo, Chicken and Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g chorizo sausage
- 4 chicken breasts cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tin butter beans
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning mix (from my cajun spice mix recipe)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Chop the chicken into cubes
- Chop the chorizo into small cubes
- Slice the garlic into thin slices
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan or saucepan and fry the chorizo until some oil comes out. This usually takes 3-4 minutes
- Add the chicken and saute until no longer pink, about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and gently fry it for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn it
- Add the cajun seasoning and the smoked paprika and fry for 1 more minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the butter beans and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 15 minutes while your rice cooks.
Leave a Reply