Chicken skewers are a great choice for a summers bbq. They cook very quickly and taste delicious. In the picture you can see we have some skewers that are only chicken and some that are chicken and vegetable – the choice is up to you.
Take each chicken breast and using a meat hammer smack it out until it is a similar thickness in all parts. Then cut into strips and marinate in your favourite marinade for a few hours. Smacking the chicken out and cutting into strips means that it cooks quickly and evenly on the bbq.
Serve with your favourite salads – couscous, pasta, greek salad are some great examples.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp tabasco
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- Combine the olive oil, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, tabasco and black pepper to make the marinade
- Smack out the chicken so it is even with no bumps and then cut into strips. Add to the marinade and leave for 2 hours
- Cut the peppers, courgette and red onion into cubes
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the chicken is marinading
- Once the chicken has marinaded for a couple of hours you can start to assemble the skewers. Place a strip of chicken on a skewer, floding it back on itself, then alternate with the peppers, courgette and red onion until the skewer is full. Be careful not to overfill it
- if you are making a skewer with just chicken, then stick the skewer through the chicken strip making sure it stays fla. This will allow it to cook qucikly and evenly.
- Cook on the bbq for 10 minutes, turning frequently.