It is soup time again here in Dublin so I decided to try some new flavours. I’ve combined carrot and butternut squash with some nice warming spices to create a great soup for a cold day.
I love to make soup at the start of the week and know that I can heat a bowl in the microwave for a quick lunch for my husband and me. Served with toasted cheese or fresh homemade bread and ready to eat in 3 minutes, what’s not to love.
Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 carrots
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 ltr vegetable stock (or stock cube)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onion and celery into chunks and saute in the rapeseed oil for 5 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime peel and chop the carrots and butternut squash.
- Add the garlic clove, carrots and butternut squash to the pan and saute for another 10 minutes with the lid closed.
- Add the spices for the last minute.
- Add the stock (or stock cube dissolved in hot water) and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 35 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until it reaches a smooth consistency. If it seems too thick add some water.
- Serve with some fresh bread.