I wanted to experiment with some breaded chicken breasts over the weekend and I think I’ve hit upon a new go to recipe. My oldest son loved it so much he wanted a second chicken breast right away and has asked that I make them really soon again.
I marinated that chicken breasts in buttermilk for a few hours which helps to tenderize and flavour the chicken.
I seasoned my breadcrumbs with garlic granules, onion granules, paprika, chilli powder, salt, pepper and oregano but feel free to use any seasoning you like. It is very important to season the breadcrumbs as this is what gives most of the flavour to your chicken.
Breaded Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of cling film and use a meat hammer to smack the chicken until it is an even thickness throughout. Don't make it too thin - 3/4 cm to 1 cm is good
- Put the chicken breasts into a bowl and cover with buttermilk. You can season the butter milk with 1/4 teaspoon of both salt and black pepper. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 50F
- Season the breadcrumbs with the paprika, salt, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper and put on a flat plate
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and pat dry
- Dip the chicken breasts in the breadcrumbs making sure to cover completely
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, fry the chicken breasts for a few minutes on each side until the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes
- Serve with mashed potatoes or chips and some green vegetables or a salad