Bread and Butter Pudding brings back so many great childhood memories for me. Back then we made it with custard powder but this version was made with fresh custard. You can buy some from the supermarket or make your own. When I first made this I used a shop bought version but I have updated the recipe to make my own custard instead.
The traditional version uses raisins but I use chocolate chips instead as my sons don’t like raisins.
Bread & Butter Pudding
Servings 4 servings
- 8 slices bread slightly stale
- 50 g butter
- 50 g chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 325 ml milk
- 75 ml cream
- 30 g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F
- Take your favourite bread and slice 10 slices. It is best to use slightly stale bread
- Butter each slice and place a layer of bread in a shallow baking dish
- Dot some chocolate chips onto each slice of bread
- Then stack the next layer of bread and repeat with the chocolate chips. You should end with 3-4 layers.
- Whisk the eggs and then add to the milk and sugar to make the custard
- Pour the custard over the bread making sure you soak the bread completely with the custard. I like to keep my custard quite runny so that it can soak into the bread better.
- Allow to stand for 30 minutes to allow the custard to soak completely.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.