Bread and Butter Pudding brings back so many great childhood memories for me. Back then we made it with custard powder but this version was made with fresh custard. You can buy some from the supermarket or make your own. When I made this I used a shop bought version but I will try making my own next time.
The traditional version uses raisins but I use chocolate chips instead as my sons don’t like raisins.
Bread & Butter Pudding
- 10 slices bread slightly stale
- 50 g butter
- 50 g chocolate chips
- 500 ml custard
- 20 g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F
- Take your favourite bread and slice 10 slices. It is best to use slightly stale bread
- Butter each slice and place a layer of bread in a shallow baking dish
- Dot some chocolate chips onto each slice of bread
- Then stack the next layer of bread and repeat with the chocolate chips. You should end with 3-4 layers.
- Pour the custard over the bread making sure you soak the bread completely with the custard. I like to keep my custard quite runny so that it can soak into the bread better.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes to allow the custard to soak completely.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.