This is a quick and delicious lunch option that takes your basic beans on toast to the next level. It is an adult version of the childhood favourite.
I use butter beans, garlic, basil, tinned tomatoes and some seasonings to make the beans.
I served it on some homemade white sliced bread that I toasted.
Beans on Toast
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tin butter beans
- 1/2 tin tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of chilli pepper flakes
- handful basil leaves
- Cut the garlic into thin slices
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and saute the garlic and mixed herbs, making sure not to burn them
- Add the butter beans and mix well.
- Then add the tomatoes, pinch of sugar, chilli flakes, salt and black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes
- Just before serving add the chopped basil leaves
- Serve on some toasted homemade white sliced bread. I always butter the bread before topping with beans.