This is based on a recipe in Jamie’s Italian cookbook but I use my own tomato sauce recipe as I really like its flavour. I add some chilli flakes to the tomato sauce as it cooks to give the dish a little kick.
Orecchiette means “little ears” in Italian and the pasta does look a little like an ear. It has ridges on the outside which are great for coating with sauce.
The mozzarella melts and is gooey and stringy and it makes this dish so delicious to eat. Serve with a nice side salad and some garlic bread.
Baked Orecchiette and Mozzarella in Tomato Sauce
- 1 tomato sauce (from my tomato sauce recipe)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 500 g orecchiette
- 2 mozzarella balls
- handful basil leaves chopped
- 50 g parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the tomato sauce according to the tomato sauce recipe. Make sure to add some chilli flakes. I use 1/2 tsp but you can use more or less depending on your preference.
- While the sauce is cooking boil water for the pasta and then cook the pasta according to the instructions. Be sure to make it al dente as it will cook further in the oven.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the saucepan of sauce
- Mix thoroughly and then add half to the baking dish you will be using
- Break up the mozzarella and add half in a layer on top of the pasta. Add some chopped up basil leaves. Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Then add the rest of the pasta and top with the rest of the mozzarella and grate some fresh parmesan on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.