This is a lovely recipe that is simple and quick to make and tastes delicious. It can be eaten for breakfast or dessert. The apple gives a lovely flavour and texture. It is also a very economical cake to make – each slice costs less than 20 cents.
It can be kept for a second day but it definitely tastes better on the first day. Make sure to eat it when warm (or reheat in a microwave).
Apple Sponge Cake
Servings 8 slices
- 115 g butter
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 230 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large cooking apple
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C / 350⁰F / Gas Mark 4
- Cream the butter and sugar until they are fluffy and light in color
- Beat the egg and add to mixture, beating it in well
- Sieve the flour
- Peel, core and roughly chop the apple
- Stir flour and apple into other ingredients with the milk until you have a smooth batter
- Grease your tin with a little butter to prevent the cake sticking.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread it evenly to the sides
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until cake is golden brown and springy to touch
- Sprinkle sparingly with sugar and leave to cool
- Cut into 8 slices when cooled and serve with cream or ice-cream if having for dessert
Leave a Reply