I recommend that everyone makes jam at least once in their life. We love to pick blackberries in September and October and usually have enough to make jam after freezing some for winter crumbles and smoothies.
If the blackberries have been picked near a road we wash them in Milton before using. This Autumn there was a bumper crop of blackberries growing on every bush and I couldn’t resist stopping to pick them.
Apple & Blackberry Jam
- 2 kg blackberries
- 1 kg cooking apples
- 250 ml water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 kg sugar
- Wash, peel, core and slice the apples
- Wash the blackberries in a colander and shake well.
- Stew apples gently in the water until soft
- Add the blackberries and the lemon juice and continue simmering until both fruits are soft
- Add the sugar and stir over a low heat until dissolved
- Boil rapidly for 15 minutes, stirring now and then, until setting point (105 deg C) has been reached
- Skim the jam if necessary and then pot and cover immediately (while still hot)