This is a firm favourite in our house and my sons eat each batch as quickly as it leaves the pan so my husband and I have to be quick to get any!
It is very easy to make and you can adapt the seasoning easily. Marinating the chicken in buttermilk really keeps the chicken moist and flavorful. I marinate for at least an hour but if you can manage a few more hours that is even better. Make sure the oil is really hot before adding the chicken so that it cooks through quickly.
The chicken is delicious on its own or served with a dip.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Marinating Time 1 hour
Servings 4 people
- 500 g chicken breast
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- 125 g flour
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Slice the chicken breasts into small bite size pieces.
- Add the chicken to a bowl with the buttermilk, 1/2 tsp of salt and a 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp of salt, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper.
- Take a piece of chicken and coat it the flour mixture. Repeat for each piece of chicken.
- Heat up 2-3 cups of oil, depending how deep your pan is.
- In batches, add the chicken and fry for around 3-5 mins until golden brown. Place on paper towel to drain away excess fat. To test if they're cooked, just take one piece out and slice it through the centre. It should be white and piping hot.
- Serve on its own or with your favourite dip.