This shredded chicken is so good in a burrito with Mexican rice, black beans, sauce/salsa, sour cream and cheese. I like to have a burrito bowl instead (ie all the burrito fillings but served in a bowl instead of a tortilla).
The chicken needs to be cooked slowly in the sauce until it can be shredded using two forks. This takes about 45 minutes in a saucepan. You could also use a slow cooker if you prefer. It will take about 4 hours on low.
I normally serve the sauce on the side as this allows each person to decide how much or little sauce they want. Personally I love loads of sauce!
Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 500 g chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1/2 tin tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- handful coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and add 1 cup water.
- Simmer, covered, on medium low heat, for 40 - 50 minutes, until chicken can be shredded with 2 forks.
- Remove chicken and shred. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the coriander and lime juice to the sauce and blend until smooth
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add 1/2 the chicken and fry until dark golden brown on one side, flip and cook the other side very briefly (don't brown), then remove. Then repeat with the second batch of chicken.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce on the side. I like to serve my chicken with Mexican rice and black beans.